The Lounge is a biweekly podcast brought to you by TheRookieTeacher[dot]ca.
Welcome to our Occasional Teacher Mini Series. On this episode, two RookieTeachers discuss Life as Rotary (Planning/Prep Coverage) Teacher: When you only have 40 Minutes. It’s no secret that as rookies, most of us will begin our careers as a supply teacher, 0.## contracts, planning, rotary, long term occasional teacher, etc. Chances are that you will begin your permanent (or LTO) in a part-time contract with prep coverage, even .18, is better than nothing! Listen in to hear Andrew share his experiences as a French Teacher, including: his classroom management strategies, the routines he built, and how he manages assessment and evaluation for ~200 students.
Each episode features three segments:
- Topic Discussion
- Quick Tip for Tomorrow
- The Rookie Resource Bank
Topic: Life as a Rotary (Planning/Prep Coverage) Teacher: When you only have 40 Minutes
Quick Tip for Tomorrow: Something you could do the next day in class with little or no prep and is applicable to most grade levels.
- Andrew: Magazine Boxes (for yourself, for students who require accommodation, and to keep your students organized). As a bonus, you can have students decorate them (according to The Arts: Visual Arts curriculum). There are many DIY magazine box projects on Pinterest.com.
- Natasha: Permanent 4-corner sheets (put them in page protectors with butterfly clips for easy transportability)
- Andrew: Index Cards on a Ring (assessment/evaluation strategies, observation notes, handy to pass off to someone else). Option: colour code them!
- Natasha: CDs (or websites) that come with resource/text books – USE THEM! Often contain lesson plans, printables, assessment/evaluation strategies
- New Teacher Chat <#ntchat> on Wednesdays at 8:00pm EST on twitter > twebevent.com/ntchat [using this website saves you from having to add the hashtag to each post]
- Thank you to all the guest bloggers who have submitted an article to the site – we really appreciate your support and willingness to share your stories and experiences
Rookie Teacher Online
We are always looking for ideas, feedback, tips and tricks of the trade. Find us on Twitter @RookieTeacherCA, Facebook.com /TheRookieTeacher. If you are looking to get involved with our team, please contact us!
Thanks for listening. Join us for our next episode when we discuss So, you’re the new one, eh?Pin It