On today’s show, Andrew and Natasha are up at their home away from home…Glen Mhor, their old #summercamp. We were happy to have Chantal Jackson, one of the camp’s co-directors, join us today to speak about how she keeps her staff and her campers engaged during training, playing, and day-to-day life at camp. These techniques can also be used in the classroom. Listen in for some tips, tricks, and the value of multiple intelligences and differentiating instruction.
Many thanks to Chantal “Match” Jackson! A true gem in summer camping.
Each episode features three segments:
- Topic Discussion
- Quick Tip for Tomorrow
- The Rookie Resource Bank
Topic: Engage Students in the Classroom
Quick Tip for Tomorrow: Something you could do the next day in class with little or no prep and is applicable to most grade levels.
- Andrew: Milling to Music
- Natasha: Drink Water!
- Chantal: Strategy – WIBYT (Write It Before You Talk) <Michael Brandwein>
The Rookie Resource Bank: any electronic, print, or event resource that we found helpful in our first few years of teaching. Of course, these are all applicable to all teachers.
- Andrew: n/a
- Natasha: Classroom Organizer (www & app)
- Chantal: Teamwork & Teamplay ($46.03) by Jim Cain (www)
Like what you’ve heard? Have more questions? Contact us:
- Chantal: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Andrew: I blog at TheRookieTeacher.ca, or email me Andrew@TheRookieTeacher.ca, I am currently focusing on pinterest as my social media project
- Natasha: I blog at TheRookieTeacher.ca, follow me on twitter @yoMsDunn, or email me Natasha@TheRookieTeacher.ca
Rookie Teacher Online
We are always looking for ideas, feedback, tips and tricks of the trade. Find us on Twitter @RookieTeacherCA, Facebook.com /TheRookieTeacher. If you are looking to get involved with our team, please contact us!
Early apologies for the audio on this episode, it is not as clean as usual, we were working with a different mic.