On today’s show, Andrew and Natasha are joined by a talented teacher and wise educator, Lisa Harkness. Lisa teaches grade 1 in SW Ontario, Canada. She attended teachers college in Scotland and taught there for three years before returning home. She has her Reading Specialist, and is passionate about literacy, providing her students with authentic learning experiences and differentiated instruction. Her passion for literacy is just one of the many reasons we asked her to join us today on The Lounge. Listen in to hear about what a solid literacy program looks like, tips to get started, and creative ways to integrate cross-curricular connections.
Oh yeah, and Lisa is an expert in Read Aloud books! Tweet her if you’re looking for a great book (based on subject, interest, topic, or grade level).
Many thanks to our guest Lisa Harkness who took time out of a nice summer day to Skype in with us. Your wisdom and openness to collaborate with new teachers is very much appreciated by The Rookie Team, our readers, and our listeners. We wish you the very best in teaching. Read On!
Each episode features three segments:
- Topic Discussion
- Quick Tip for Tomorrow
- The Rookie Resource Bank
Topic: Setting up a Solid Literacy Program
Quick Tip for Tomorrow: Something you could do the next day in class with little or no prep and is applicable to most grade levels.
- Andrew: Schedule wisely: plan ‘downtime’ for you & your students
- Natasha: Pencil bins>”sharp/dull” (similar to this pin) (*note* searching “sharp pencils” on Pinterest will find multiple creative ways to display your pencil bins)
- Lisa: Magnet clips to display student writing (also, see these ideas via Pinterest)
- Natasha has been asked to co-moderate the #ntchat with Lisa Dabbs – Wednesday nights at 8:00pm EST (watch the @RookieTeacherCA twitter feed or follow @teachingwthsoul & @yoMsDunn for more information)
- Please join our discussions on Facebook.com/TheRookieTeacher
- We are also spending time gathering some great ideas for the classroom on Pinterest (http://bit.ly/rookiepins) – we are up to 1688 followers on our collab board – let us know if you’d like to contribute.
Like what you’ve heard? Have more questions? Contact us:
- Lisa: I blog on my class website, follow me on twitter @MrsH203, or on Pinterest/LisaHarkness
- Andrew: I blog at TheRookieTeacher.ca, or email me Andrew@TheRookieTeacher.ca, I am currently focusing on pinterest as my social media project
- Natasha: I blog at TheRookieTeacher.ca, follow me on twitter @yoMsDunn, or email me Natasha@TheRookieTeacher.ca
- Rookie Teacher Online
We are always looking for ideas, feedback, tips and tricks of the trade. Find us on Twitter @RookieTeacherCA, Facebook.com /TheRookieTeacher. If you are looking to get involved with our team, please contact us!